It's A Dog's Life

Friday, April 18, 2008

When Cub Went Home

This morning my guardian called me over to her desk and up into her lap and she held onto me real tight so I wiggled around and grunted. But, when she gave me some space, I noticed that her face was wet and she looked all sad. I am a dog so I knew what to do and I licked her ear and nuzzled her neck. That sometimes helps humans feel better... simple creatures that they are.

She petted me and said, "Oh Rowan, Cub has died." And she felt sad because it reminded her that someday I will die too and she will miss me a real lot when that happens. I don't care though because I can't wait to get my little golden tail. I'm going to wag it real hard when I get it too. I am.

I felt kind of bad for Lindy but I was thinking, Yay Cub!

This is a photo of Cub on the day that he went to live with his thumb havers. I think they must be real good guardians because Cub was such a good dog. One of them typed for Cub and everything. Pretty nice. That one was called The Typist. That's interesting because Typist sounds like type. Humans are like that.

Cub looks happy in this photo, don't you think? I think Cub knew that he was going to go to a very good home with nice humans to take care of him.

Today Cub went to a new home. It's in Heaven. I wonder if there was someone there to take Cub's photo today. Maybe Saint Roch was there with a camera. And Laika was probably there too because Cub is the kind of dog Laika would want to be friends with.

I bet Saint Roch took a photo of Cub and Jesus. I hope Jesus could stop laughing long enough to do a good pose. Jesus was probably real happy to see Cub. And Mary would be there too because she loves to see her Son be all happy. I think Jesus is the one that gives you your little golden tail so He has to be there. Not sure about that though. It might just happen my magic. Don't know. I hope there's a little ceremony when you get it. I think I would like a ceremony.

It is sometimes hard for me to remember the specifics of Heaven. But, I am learning a few things. The golden tail for one thing. And I know that since it's where I came from it'll feel like going home when I get there. I know that Cub will be there and that it'll be fun. Probably there are ducks that you can chase. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be. It's going to be great.

The only bad thing about Heaven is that it makes guardians sad. I wish they could see how much fun it is for dogs. But... you know... humans. When they finally get to Heaven they will understand too.

Thank you God for being the best guardian ever and for being in Heaven to welcome us dogs back home when we get there. Please give Cub a real nice new tail, golden and all. And make Cub strong and well again. Help Cub's thumb havers to not be sad in their hearts and help The Boy to be good. I love you. From Rowan. Amen.


12 Comments:

  • Thank you, Rowan. We miss Cub terribly, but we know she's better now. I'm glad you know what to do when Lindy cries. You're a good dog.
    --The Typist

    By Blogger DogBlogger, at 1:18 PM  

  • I am weeping and weeping. Beautiful Cub.

    Rowan is right- I bet that Laika was there to meet Cub at the gates of Heaven and St Roch too.

    My heart is aching for thumb havers, I pray for consolation for them.

    By Blogger Fran, at 2:48 PM  

  • Here Fran, have some licks. I woof you.

    Rowan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:50 PM  

  • Amen Rowan! That was a beautiful tribute.

    By Blogger Lori, at 6:14 PM  

  • Rowan, you always know what Lindy needs. Lucky Lindy.

    I know that Cub is having a wonderful time, but I know it's hard on thumb havers and I, being a thumb have, am sad and weepy. Sometimes that's a good thing, for a while at least.

    Tummy rubs!

    By Blogger Paul, at 8:21 PM  

  • Hi Rowan--that was really nice. My mama cried about Cub too (though she explained to me she was really crying for the Typist and the Alpha), and I sat with her and kissed her. It's what we do.

    I like thinking about my golden tail too, especially since I don't have any sort of tail now. Mama says she looks forward to seeing it someday.

    Love,
    Amie

    By Blogger zorra, at 9:06 PM  

  • ((((Rowan))))
    ((((Lindy))))
    thank you.

    By Blogger Diane M. Roth, at 7:02 AM  

  • Hi Rowan, i seen you on dwb so i thought i would paw by to see you. How are you.


    xox

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 AM  

  • Hi Rowan. I'm so sad to hear about your friend.


    Rusty

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:55 PM  

  • What a beautiful tribute to Cub...thanks for sharing.

    Somebody at the Mommy's job sent some pictures of some dachshunds in a parade in Austin. You by any chase see the parade did ya?

    Did ya take the celeberty quiz? It said i have Amy Winehouse...NO WAY!!

    Love ya Mona

    By Blogger ♥Mona + Prissy + Angel Weenie♥, at 7:27 PM  

  • Just stoppig by to wish your Mom a Happy Mother's day. You are so licky to have her fro your human Mommy.

    Love Mona

    By Blogger ♥Mona + Prissy + Angel Weenie♥, at 7:16 PM  

  • Rowan, you know exactly what to do. And you know about the heaven home. I hope Cub is very happy there and you keep consoling the sad guardian. She is lucky to have you there.

    By Blogger Jane R, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home