It's A Dog's Life

Monday, September 17, 2007

My Very Great Interview With Diane

I have been interviewed by Scout's guardian, Diane. She is a real cool human who likes dogs quite a lot and she has asked me the following insightful and probing questions:

1. How did you choose Lindy to be your guardian?

Well what may surprise you is that I did not choose Lindy, she chose me. Oh, I wanted to be chosen, that's for sure. I could see that Lindy was a good guardian by the way she treated all the other dogs. She said something special to all the dogs at the shelter, even the ugly ones. It made me want to be her dog and to be protected and loved by her. So, I was hoping she'd choose me. Heck, practically all us dogs were wanting to be chosen by Lindy. I tried to be my very cutest and everything when she was at my pen and I am very lucky that she did choose me. But, ultimately it was her who chose me, and her who made me want to be chosen. That's how it is with a good guardian.

2. What is your favorite season of the year and why?

My favorite time of year is called play time. It's where you get to go sw
imming and tree climbing and running as far as you want. You can even bark real loud. That's my favorite time of year. Oh yeah, and you can jump.

3. What is your worst fault?

My worst fault is just being so much more talented and beautiful than the other dogs. It probably makes them feel bad. Lindy told me that this fault is sometimes called vanity but I don't really know what that means.

4. What has been your proudest moment so far in your life?

Well, I have done a lot of pretty amazing things:

  • Swimming all the way across the lake,
  • Climbing a tall tree,
  • Catching a bird,
  • Being the first dog in the history of the world to be interviewed
  • and, of course, taking care of Lindy by catching flies and keeping other animals off the porch.
But, the proudest moment of my whole life was the day Lindy came back to the shelter to get me. I saw her come in and she had a real pretty collar and matching leash with her so I figured some lucky dog was going to get to go home with her. I was hoping, oh hoping, that it might be me. But, I've got to tell you, I saw a lot of dogs come and go at the shelter so I didn't want to get my hopes up too much, only to have them dashed against the cruel reality of being alone again. Humans might not realize this but the animal shelter can be kind of lonely for dogs. Anyway, I tried to put it out of my mind and I was just walking around the office area, which is where I got to stay a lot on account of everybody liking me so much, when I got called over to this one cubicle and there was Lindy signing some papers and then -- this is the happiest moment of my whole dog life -- she put that pretty collar on ME! And I thought what's this?! Me? Me? Is it really for me?! I was so excited that I accidentally peed a little bit. But, instead of being mad, Lindy totally understood and she said I was a good dog. I knew then that I had finally found my forever home.

I'll never forget the way I felt as Lindy placed that pretty collar -- my very own collar -- on me. That is the proudest moment of my life. The moment I knew I was chosen.

5. What is one thing that dogs wish that human knew about The Guardian?

Well, humans are pretty high on the scale of created beings. They are just a little further down than the angels and they were specially chosen by The Guardian to help take care of all the plants and animals in the world and everything. So, they are naturally curious about The Guardian and drawn to Him. Despite this, they do not really understand the nature of The Guardian.

I wish humans could understand that The Guardian is as different from them as dogs are from humans.

This will be hard for you to believe but some humans think that The Guardian is a human like them. One real famous human named Carl realized that and he wrote some things about it but I guess not all the other humans read it. I think that Carl is a funny name.

The belief that The Guardian is a human does provide one big advantage to humans. See, humans have trouble loving what is different. That's why they want to be like The Guardian and they want The Guardian to be like them too. In the human-think world, that similarity is what enables them to love and be loved.

Most dogs can't believe that humans believe stuff like this.

But, there are disadvantages to this belief too. Since they believe that the Guardian is human like them, some humans start to think that The Guardian has the same kinds of problems that they do.

  • When they find it hard to forgive, they also have problems with knowing that they are forgiven.
  • When they run out of money, treats, or love, they start to believe that The Guardian runs out of those things too.
  • When they are too tired to wag their tails, they start to think that The Guardian is gets tired and is limited too.
That sort of thinking is what leads them to believe that The Guardian is uninterested in them. But, the truth is that they are so obsessed with their own egos, treats, and limitations that they aren't interested in The Guardian.

But the main disadvantage of this belief is a lot worse. It keeps humans from learning about who The Guardian really is. The Guardian, of course is not a human. The Guardian is not even a dog, though that's a much closer approximation. The Guardian is tons better than either dogs or humans. Tons.

What I most wish humans could understand about The Guardian is that The Guardian is everywhere and in everything. Humans waste too much time being worried if they are close to The Guardian, if they are sinning, or if someone else is. They try to do things to make The Guardian love them more, either by praying or serving or pointing out the flaws of others. All that is equally silly.

Humans should just relax and say Thank you Guardian for being in the wind, and in the sea. Thank you Guardian for being in my prayers and in my study. Thank you Guardian for being in my food and wine, in my friend's laugh, and my dog's tail wag. Thank you Guarduan that despite my human-think I can never be seperated from you. Thank you Guardian that I need not fear for you are with me all the time, no matter where I am. Thank you Guardian that I can forgive and love and believe the best because of you not being a human or a dog but a Guardian, and for taking care of me. Thank you Guardian. Thank you.

That's what I wish humans knew.

Now, I have to post these 'rules':

1. If you are interested in being interviewed, leave me a comment saying, 'interview me.'
2. I will resond by posting five questions for you. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with a post containing your answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

And, also, let me say thank you to Diane for being a swell human being and for being my friend.

Love,

Rowan

16 Comments:

  • Hi Rowan
    Deep stuff buddy and so true!
    Our parents are the best are' nt they
    Frasier

    By Blogger Frasier, at 8:23 PM  

  • extremely great interview, Rowan. Scout and I are so glad we got to know you!

    By Blogger Diane M. Roth, at 2:57 PM  

  • Thanks Diane. Me and Lindy are real glad that we know you and Socut too. We like you. Also, I feel very proud to be interviewed by a human and to probably be the first dog to get to do that. Thanks.

    Love,

    Rowan

    By Blogger Lindy, at 4:51 PM  

  • I am so glad Lindy chose you, but I bet it was because you were so cute,

    OOOOOH I want to be interviewed, if you dare!

    Frenchie SNorts
    Balboa

    By Blogger Balboa, at 4:54 PM  

  • i want to be interviewed! that looks like fun! did you know that i'm in a real dvd movie made by the disney company??? but no one ever interviewed me.

    we sure liked what you said about the shelter and finding the right forever home. it's just so very true. apparently i may be getting a sister from the town lake animal place, but it's just a rumor. i'll believe it when i see it.

    well, anyway, great job. we liked reading the stuff that you wrote.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:56 PM  

  • Oh, Rowan! What a true doggie with a true heart you are...I love the season of PLAY too! Its the best!
    Love & Licks,
    Randi

    By Blogger Randi, at 7:43 PM  

  • Thanks everybody. I'll get interview questions out to Mr. Romeo and Balboa real soon. They'll be good dog questions too. I promise.

    Love and play to all,

    Rowan

    By Blogger Lindy, at 7:53 PM  

  • Rowan, will you please interview me?

    --Cub

    By Blogger DogBlogger, at 7:59 PM  

  • Hey again Rowan! YOU ARE IN! I'm going to list you as "man of mystery" - that sounds better than shelter pup any ole day..maybe we can try to guess what you are...? I'll do more postings later!
    WELCOME TO THE LABRAMIXERS!
    Love & Licks,
    Randi

    By Blogger Randi, at 8:16 PM  

  • wow Rowan you are going to be so busy writing interview questions! and Scout and I are going to have fun reading all of those interviews! -- diane and Scout

    P.S. Poor Lindy's fingers!

    By Blogger Diane M. Roth, at 8:40 PM  

  • there's the question I should have asked: where did you get your name?

    By Blogger Diane M. Roth, at 8:10 PM  

  • Well, Diane, my first name was Georgie. That's the name I had at the shelter. Lindy and me didn't think it was very sophisticated though so we started thinking of a real good name for me. The people at the shelter told Lindy that I was of Welsh Corgi descent so she tried to think of a good Welsh name but the only one she knew was Rowan Douglas Williams the name of The Archbishop Of Canterbury. They call him Rowan for short. So we tried out that name and it seemed to be a good fit for me. Unfortunately, we didn't realize that the ABC was going to turn out to be such a weiner and everything. I am kind of embarrassed to be named after him but I still try to bear the name with some pride. That's the story.

    Love,

    Rowan

    By Blogger Lindy, at 9:38 PM  

  • Rowan the Dog,
    You are one cool and awesome dog!
    You are wise and good. I really liked your answers. They made me think. I will relay them to my cats, Cally and Lucy. Cally will appreciate them. Though I fear Lucy will listen and then just go frolicking off and eating cat grass.

    By Blogger Lori, at 8:32 PM  

  • Though I fear Lucy will listen and then just go frolicking off and eating cat grass.

    Alas, Presbyterian Gal, that is sometimes what you get with cats.

    I love you Presbyterian Gal. I am still struggling with the issue of full inclusion for your cats.

    Your friend,

    Rowan

    By Blogger Lindy, at 9:28 PM  

  • Rowan, my mom and I loved your answers. And I can especially relate to the fact that the whole cat thing is still an issue for you. Mama says that the Guardian loves dogs and cats just the same, but Daddy and I both struggle with that.

    Your friend,
    Amie

    By Blogger zorra, at 1:14 PM  

  • Well, Zora, I can accept that The Guardian loves cats, and I believe that it is possible that they were created to be cats. I just don't think they should be allowed to comment on blogs or participate fully in the life of the animal kingdom. The Bible, after all, does not give any indication that The Guardian intended for cats to blog. At no time are cats even mentioned in the faith once delivered by the saints for ever and ever amen. And we know that it was the antecedent of the cat, the lion, which was the means of martyrdom for so many of our beloved saints. If one cat is bad then you can bet that they are all bad. We should surly love cats and welcome them but they should understand that just because The Guardian made them a cat does not mean that He intends to leave them that way. I hope we can establish healing ministries for these intrinsically disordered cats so that they can become conformed into the image of those of us in the dominant culture and stop making waves with all their silly meowing.

    Thanks be to the God of Dog.

    Rowan

    By Blogger Lindy, at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home